Monday, May 07, 2007

Vacation Dreams

I'm fighting an internal battle with myself at the moment. My friends and family think that I am being rather silly.

I've been working for the same organisation (in many different positions) since I graduated at the end of 1996. (This probably also explains a lot of my other neurosis) The organisation has a policy that an employee is entitled to an extra month of leave after working for 10 years. So this year I officially get 8 weeks leave.

I have applied to go to South-Korea during July-August to teach English in a language school there. I'm currently waiting for the final approval. This option makes a lot of sense. I get a free return flight ticket to an area of the world that I have never been to. I do 6 hours of work a day. The rest of the time (and over week-ends) I get to explore the environment. I also get paid $1300 per month for this work. (I am debating whether this money will buy me a laptop which runs Ubuntu Linux or a new double bed, or if I will have the discipline to rather just kill most of my credit card debt with it).

I have almost no sense of excitement about this trip. Whenever I begin to dream about my holiday, I see myself on a solitary road for 20 days with a sports bag at the back of my motorbike and a two-man tent. Since I bought my Gomoto in 2006 I've been dreaming about taking a long solitary trip (a few thousand kilometers) with my Gomoto. In January-February, when I started to become frustrated with my motorbike, I changed my mind. Now most of the frustration is gone. My spokes don't seem to be breaking anymore. The bike still runs strongly.

It does not help that I just bought myself a copy of Shorelines: A Journey along the South African Coast, written by Chris Marais and Julienne Du Toit. They did with a diesel bakkie what I would like to do (at least in part) with my Gomoto. Their book tells about the people that they meet and the stories they heard on the way.

Imagine if I could travel from the Western Cape to Kwa Zulu Natal with my Gomoto! (I really want to drive over Sani-Pass on my bike!) I could travel about 120 - 200 km's per day and sleep in camping areas or Backpackers hostels on the way. Perhaps I could make a deal with Gomoto that they would provide back-up service for my motorbike at their outlets in a few of the cities/towns along the way.

Everybody tells me that South-Korea is a better option. It won't cost me anything and it is "Overseas!". I'm still trying to persuade myself that it is really as exciting as feeling the wind blow around oneself on an undulating country road near the coast of South Africa.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sister of a friend of mine is teaching English in South Korea. She says that it's a lot of work besides the language problems...

Anonymous said...

Hi Weiers,
If you are up to the challenge, willing to overcome ANY difficulties in South Korea, hey remember you only live once and besides what an experiance(s) awaits you! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Weiers,

I think you should take this fantastic opportunity to FOLLOW your dream!

We have recently launched abiglife.biz, which is a blog that focuses on people who are living their Big Life. By the sound of things, your dream is to do your gomoto trip - and you should go for it!

If you decide to go on the trip, I am sure that McNab's Energy Tabs would LOVE to join you and I will definitely feature you on our site.

Let me know if you decide to take the journey...

Laura
energynews@mcnabs.co.za

Weiers said...

Hi Laura

Thank you very much for your encouraging comment. I visited your blog and it is really inspiring.

I need to make my decisions on a motorbike journey within the next few days.

I will let you know what decision I make.

Thanks

Weiers

Allimac said...

Hi Weiers,

If you are currently still in SA I would love to know more about your S Korea enquiries, as I have also considered doing this. My wife and I are teachers, both degreed. But I want to know whether, when I get to say, a public school, they will supply us with the teaching materials, curriculum, etc. You know, all the necessary things a teacher needs. I was told by one chap who is going over that he had to source all his own materials etc. costing thousands... One never knows until one has done it yourself.

I think I have similar reasons to yours, for wanting to go over - to travel, meet eastern people, and try to save money and pay off debt. If anyone can inform me I would appreciate it very much.

Best Regards

Alistair McMillan